Friday, April 30, 2010






Sorry bird watches, no photos of swallows today!  This beast of a hen crushed the streamer, perhaps 25 feet off the bank.  I'm not sure if she followed it out from in tight or not but she definitely felt like the bottom at first.  Marcus turned around to see what all the commotion was about to see my rod bent in half and a monster brown thrashing around like a gator.  The fight wasn't what you'd expect, more or less 30 seconds of fear and loathing until Marcus got her in the net.  Hank called her a "Day Ruiner" but for me it was the fish of a lifetime.  We taped her at 27 and change with a girth of 16!  

Obviously the day went down hill from that but we managed to put a few other nice ones in the net, an 18, a 19, an 20 got off... Mostly browns and all on streamers.  We saw one march brown, zero caddis, zero baetis, and the birds were back on the midges.  Visibility was between a foot and half to two feet.  Got to love Mother's day Caddis Hatch!  (Even if you don't see a caddis all day)...   

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats James! I know you have been dreaming about that fish for years. Hank called me about it this evening and I couldn't wait to see it for myself. Nice work!

    Jake Robidou

    ReplyDelete